Prev: Re: [FT] FTL Next: Re: [FT] FTL

Re: [FT] FTL

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:34:25 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] FTL

Steve:
***
The gravitional effect of a hollow sphere, experienced anywhere
inside the sphere is zero. Now, I can't remember off the top of my
head whether the Oort cloud is a ring or a cloud but the same effect
applies in either case. (If it is a ring then you'll start to feel a
pull only if you leave the plane of the ring.)
***

Again, understood, but how close to how large a rock may skew by
'local' conditions.

***
Of course it's rather more likely that considering the density of the
Oort cloud (low) and it's distance from the sun/earth (large) that it
doesn't produce a large enough gravitational gradient to effect FTL
jumps.
***

Of course I agree with you, but, as I said previously, stretch the PSB
on FTL a little this way or that, and you can make it count. After all,
it's not REALLY rocket science. ;->=

Sounds like you're far more aware of the details than I; can you
suggest,
direct to me, any good lay-person books on the Oort Cloud itself? I
wasn't
aware any had been more than hypothesized 'sides the local one.

The_Beast, devans@uneb.edu

Prev: Re: [FT] FTL Next: Re: [FT] FTL