Prev: Re: Gen Con (!!) Next: RE: [FT] Basing Fighters

Re: [FT] FTL

From: devans@u...
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:43:21 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] FTL

>I'd jump blind in to the heart of Earth's asteroid belt without a
>thought. With all the hundreds of thousands of rocks there, space is so
>big that the odds so greatly disfavor the house it shouldn't even be
>called a gamble.

Noam,

For chance of hitting, 'materializing', on moderately large rock, I'm
right
with you. However, some sci-fi gives the impression of anything in the
vicinity would cause a gravity gradient to tear the ship apart. How
close?
How large a mass? Not a clue. However, PSB for the mill.

On the other hand, as I keep mentioning, there's this thing probably
around
most systems called an Oort (can't do umlats) Cloud, so, do you have to
move
outsystem 1/3 the distance to the closest star before you can engage
FTL?
*shrug*

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Gen Con (!!) Next: RE: [FT] Basing Fighters