Prev: Kra'vak and FBII Re: GZG Encyclopedia Starmap Next: Re: [FT] Missiles, Salvo and Capital.

Re: hello

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 23:42:20 +1000
Subject: Re: hello

Thomas Anderson wrote:

> however, they do still take a lot more work to deal with than good old
> beams and torps. i'm not sure they were a balanced addition to the FB.
but
> then, what do i know?

Considering the snipped remarks, apparently a great deal.

Re the conclusion, it's no accident that at CANCON-99, there was exactly
one ESU fleet, a few NACs (which did very well) and the balance NSL. All
of the "non-GZG model" fleets, including my own, were NSL. None were
FSU, not one.

Being fair, 2 of the NSL Attack fleets had Waldenburg-Ms in them (mine
had 7), but although I scored 1.00 with my defence and patrol fleets, my
attack fleet scored .000. Basically, too many ADAFs ( 20 or so was the
usual, fleet size 2750 pts) and too many banzai jammers.

Of course in the "Convoy Escort" scenarios, both as attackers and
defenders, the SMLs came into their own. The enemy was channelled by the
victory conditions into a certain part of space. Either they had to run
the gauntlet and take the lumps, or put themselves in a tactically
disadvantageous position.

with. The New Improved Pulse Torps OTOH _seem_ to be significantly more
effective than type 3 beams of equal value, despite doing approximately
the same damage on average. The reason seems to be the higher likelyhood
of multiple thresholds under torpedo fire. But the problem, if it even
exists, is relatively minor.

(I _LIKE_ this game!!)
 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Kra'vak and FBII Re: GZG Encyclopedia Starmap Next: Re: [FT] Missiles, Salvo and Capital.