Prev: Re: [DSII] Point defence... Next: [FT] Sensors (Was Re: Big Beams was: Re: [FT] SMLs, Type 3 & Tactics) Snip before forwarding ;:)

Re: [DSII] Reactive armour

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:22:08 +1300
Subject: Re: [DSII] Reactive armour

Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:
>According to some research papers I've read recently (published at a
>Ballistics symposium in South Africa a year or two ago, so no
classified
>stuff <g>), reactive armour is effective against both shaped-charge
>warheads *and* kinetic projectiles. Currently the armour has to be
>configured towards defeating the one or the other - "light" ERA won't
>slow down a kinetic projectile much while a "heavy" one isn't very good
>against warheads, but there's some massive research going on... and two
>years ago it looked rather promising.
>
>So... unless the MDC/HVC/HKP manufacturers get real clever, ERA either
>affects them - or *all* DSII units has it, and it should be included
>directly into the armour rating without being modelled separately :-/
At
>least for close-future battles, up to the 2nd US CW or so...
    Did your papers mention any thing about active armour? Armour that
explodes before the projectile strikes, thus disrupting or destroying
shaped-charge warheads and deflecting kinetic projectiles. If it's
classified, let us know that it is.
    One idea that I've read about is two parrallel plates driven apart
and
side ways by an explosion as the projectile hits, thus cutting the
shaped-charge jet or deflecting kinetic projectiles.

Andrew Martin
-------------
ICQ #:26227169
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz