Prev: Re: FT/DS/SG Obi Wan GZG Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC (really long)

Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 16:16:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC

>PART ONE
>Adrian,
>Great work. Well thought out.

Thanks!

One thing. The fact that in the NAC,
>non-white or non "Anglo" populations are the majority (Then you add in
>Central America etc), leads me to believe that the name New Anglican
>Confederation (I know you had nothing to do with this name decision)
>would most likely not have been chosen. It seems to me that something
>less well how do you say it, "discrimminatory" would have been chosen.
>can see as the years go on and the Anglican minority grows that the
very
>name of the confederation given it's unweildy size, becomes a very
>sticky point. I wonder what teh NAC might have mutated into with eth
>absorbtion of the LLAR.

I understand exactly where you're coming from - this point has been
raised
twice now.  As I said in my response to John, when the NAC was founded,
it
was ONLY Quebec, Canada, the UK, and the various bits of the former US.
assumed that the significant Hispanic portion of the population in the
US
and Les Quebecois would have a real problem joining a new state which
didn't give them protection for their language and culture -
particularly
given that the Quebecois had gone through the process of gaining
independance and the Hispanics had just finished fighting a race war...
So, my version of the NAC has integral protection for Spanish and French
built in from the beginning.  English is the dominant force - lets be
honest here, with two hundred million English speaking Americans,
seventy
million English speaking Brits, and fourty million English speaking
Canadians (OK, I'm inflating the numbers a bit, but I figure this
doesn't
happen 'til several decades from now when the populations have grown)
joining up together, they're going to set it up with English as the
dominant language.  Following the timeline as presented, with the
Monarch
becoming the head of state of the new organization, English will be
enshrined in the new constitution.  There are maybe 8 - 10 million
Francophones and maybe 50 - 70 million Hispanics joining up at the same
time, which is a SIGNIFICANT number of people - hence my assertion that
their languages and cultures get official recognition and protection
from
the beginning.

Also, this conveniently works with the fact that the NAC absorbs Central
and South America later - they would have been more prepared to be
absorbed
knowing that Spanish was protected in the NAC anyway...  (OK - Brazil is
rather significant wrinkle, given that they speak Portugese, and there's
120 million of them...	but we can iron that out later...)

What actually happens within the NAC as these large numbers of Spanish
speakers are brought into the lap of Her Majesty...?  I figure it could
go
two ways:  the Spanish speakers are second-class citizens with the real
political power being held by the "rich north Anglo-Gringos" - leading
all kinds of social unrest and political upheavals OR there are a couple
of
smart, wise people with foresight and a sense of historical perspective
who
recognize this problem way back at the beginning, enshrine protection
for
Spanish in the NAC constitution when it is written, and when the LLAR is
absorbed, there is a ready made support structure of senior
bureaucrats/officials/etc from the NACs Spanish speaking areas to
welcome
them and give them confidence SO the NAC avoids as much as possible the
severe social unrest that could happen if they tried to assimilate all
of
South America by forcing them to Anglicize (*it wouldn't happen!!*)  So,
write a slightly utopian ideal, in which the founders of the NAC are
clever, anticipate the problem (initially because of the large Hispanic
population they have joining the NAC at its founding), and we don't have
another civil war within the NAC with the "Spanish" fighting the
"English".
 You could imagine a nightmare scenario, with the FSE backing Spanish
insurgents throughout the NAC sphere...  hey, wait a minute...	that
might
be interesting...  hmmm

  The name "New Anglian"  comes about for several reasons - the simplest
one being that the fine gentlemen at GZG who wrote the game wrote what
they
thought was cool and wanted it that way - which is as good a reason as
any
(they aren't making public policy, afterall, but writing a game that
they
will enjoy).  Using the reasoning in the game universe - they picked New
Anglian 'cause it was the US, Canadian and UK that formed the real core
of
the NAC at the beginning.  It had its large minority populations, but
the
massive influx of Spanish people didn't come 'til much later, by which
time
the NAC had matured and the Anglo populations had grown, etc etc etc.

A sticking point for me in all this is the whole issue of Quebec joining
at
all.  I wrote my history with the idea that the Quebecois joined
relatively
easily, after they were guarenteed protection in the NAC constitution.
wonder, however, if it would go so smoothly.  If Les Quebecois, after
trying for three decades to get their independence were to watch a
race/cultural war in the US, why would they easily leap back into a
political union akin to a larger version of Canada.  I think, in
retrospect, that if I were writing this history from the beginning, I
might
have Quebec not join the NAC right off, and either come to be a member
by
economic necessity quite a bit later, be taken over by force, or most
likely, join the FSE - which would throw a wrench into the NAC's happy
world.

<snip the PART 2 stuff - tackle that later>

Adrian

Prev: Re: FT/DS/SG Obi Wan GZG Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC (really long)