Prev: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Colony lists? (was:Re: Locations of Stars etc.)

Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:04:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea

Adrian spake thusly upon matters weighty:

Maybe the trick here is to
> make sure that the people you play with are somewhat like-minded
toward
> this kind of thing, and have a "gentleman's agreement" not to do stuff
like
> that unless it really makes sense from a situational perspective.

I can see Owen's point. It's why I use my home-written overwatch
rules. It kills both the situations he is talking about - if an enemy
squad is on overwatch focused on either the space your unit will move
through or directly on your unit, it will activate when you do. That
means that if you try the cheesy shoot-smoke activation, you'll get
hosed by them before you get to do it. If you try the dash across a
space, when you pass the overwatch target marker, the watching squad
will fire on you. So it kills both of these without destroying the
turn sequence in SG2. What if the enemy isn't watching? Then your
action isn't cheesy, its good planning. Overwatch is a KEY component
of real infantry combat...and something sadly missing from SG2. It
makes for cleaner rules, but it lets a lot of cheesy things happen.

My rules for overwatch have been used a couple of times and I didn't
see it slow down the game noticeably. My mechanic was reasonably
simple (if convoluted to explain!) and works (AFAICS) well within the
existing SG2 system.

Here is another alternative for initiative: To determine who goes
next: Roll d12 before each subsequent activation (or once a turn at
the beginning if you like less overhead). Ties go to defender. +1 to
roll for each unit less than the other player you have. This means it
is not ALWAYS the smaller squad that goes next, unless he is
profoundly smaller. It just gives the little guy better odds of going
next.

Tom.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Colony lists? (was:Re: Locations of Stars etc.)