Prev: Re: Home Page Update Next: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea

Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 19:55:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea

Owen Glover spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> Has anyone heard of this style of turn sequencing before or played it?
how
> much do people think it would effect teh flavour of the game?

Well, I've seen advances directly into the face of an enemy unit
because the player knew that the enemy unit could not fire, or dashes
across wide open areas where no one had a chance to interrupt. So I
can see where one might want to do this. But I can see some issues
here too:

1. Battle plan: It's kind of hard to execute one when the units you
want to move first move last and vice versa. If I want 1 squad to
(for example) run up and blow the door off a bunker and the second
squad to close assault the occupants.... this is thorny if the
assaulters activate first.

2. Do you think the command elements should be activated this way? It
sure seems that goes against the spirit of the game. The game is
about choices, and command control. This flavour would be about
random chance and the ebb and flow of battle.  Maybe leaving the
command elements able to activate at any point in place of a card
draw would be useful.

Plus, do you use two separate decks and alternate between them (one
for each player) or do you allow for that awful random chance where
one player gets (for example) five or six activations in a row before
the enemy can react? Yikes!

This might be a viable option, but it would certainly want to be
tested out a few times. I think it offers a potential imbalance and
it seems to take away from your ability to react and plan. Maybe that
is fair, maybe not.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Home Page Update Next: Re: [SG] - Turn Sequence Idea