Prev: Re: [SG] Orbats (was Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare) Next: [ds]GEV...Re: Full Thrust : Electronic Warfare

(DS/SG] was: Tech diffusion Now: Infamous John A and Ogres/Mecha

From: "George,Eugene M" <Eugene.M.George@k...>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 10:18:11 -0800
Subject: (DS/SG] was: Tech diffusion Now: Infamous John A and Ogres/Mecha

Will infamous do? Hain't read that there Videssos, so I don't get the
joke.

Regardless, a couple of these threads have got me looking over my Ogre
"Steel Knights" Campaign with an eye towards getting the whole thing
sorted
out for ds2/sg2. The whole magilla really revolves around them pesky
cybertanks though, and as other messages indicate, the Ogres (and Mecha)
blow up real good!

The only clever rationalization I've been able to make is this: What if
the
only reason Ogres/Mecha/Other Tech McGuffin (that's inefficient and goes
kaboom easy-like but is too cool to get rid of) exist is because of the
prestige involved in owing one or the way society is built. Example:
Battletech. The ruling class has 'Mechs, others rarely do. Other tech is
kept artificially retarded and production is controlled by and
prioritized
in favor of the aristos. I know that this is an oversimplification, but
bear
with me. It kinda makes sense. If Space travel is expensive, maybe wars
are
fought by very small, very advanced groups of mecha, ogres, whatever.
Easy
to transport, psychologically intimidating and able to lord it over the
little guys with popguns. Ideas anyway...

Gene

.