Prev: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and now somebackground) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and nowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and nowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

From: devans@u...
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:16:47 -0600
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and nowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

***
No way! A heraldic wyvern has only two feet, a dragon has four - and the
red dragon of Wales most certainly has four feet on all Welsh flags I've
ever seen.***

Right-o. I have one on my chest even as I type this. (T-shirt, not
tattoo.)
There's one on the cap insignia of the Welsh Borderers. A re-enactor
tried
to tell me it was a griffon. 'Look, this is a muzzle, not a beak. This
chest is covered in scale bands, not feathers...' 'But the book sez...'
Basic read, don't think.

***
> I suggest a blue field.  The crown, leopards, harp, eagle, fleur de
lys,
> globe, and anchor should be gold.  The unicorn and broad arrow should
be
> white.  The wyvern, hand, and leaf should be red, which is not in
> accordance with the rules of heraldry if displayed on a blue field.

The Welsh national arms is unheraldic already - per fess argent and
vert,
a dragon gules (don't remember the correct term for the dragon's pose);
the dragon is placed squarely over the division, so half of it is on the
green.***

Isn't the phrase 'en passant'? Standing on three legs, one raised. I'm
not
up on heraldic forms; had no idea the colors were a problem. However, I
seem to recall the term a surprise, as I'd seen it in chess.

I'm still nerved about trying to do small details on ships, but an 'y
draig
goch' would probably be unavoidable. ESU was always a temporary fleet
until
I got my NAC going. This has definitely got me excited again. And, maybe
the words 'Cymru am beth' scrawled on a smaller ship.

KR? I think I'm going to need a carrier... ;->=

Oh, I have some old Gren K-force women-in-power-armor, painted green.
The
shoulders have what appear to be lions, but I had them painted red with
wings, and I call the insignias dragons. Still no telling whether
they'll
play non-standard 40K or SGII first.

The_Beast