Prev: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and nowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST] Next: Re: FT Combo: Super Carriers and FTL

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and nowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:20:25 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and nowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> > unicorn
>
> Yes. The Lion Rampant is the personal arms of the Scottish king, not
of
> Scotland.

the unicorn is the bearer of the royal arms which represents scotland,
but
again it's fallen into disuse as a general symbol. i stand by the
thistle
on the grounds that it's on the scots-design one pound coin.

> > wyvern
>
> No way! A heraldic wyvern has only two feet, a dragon has four - and
the
> red dragon of Wales most certainly has four feet on all Welsh flags
I've
> ever seen.

re my earlier comment on pedantry: pedantry is good *if correct* :-)

> > Perhaps instead a canton (upper left quarter) can be changed to the
> > appropriate background color, e.g. for Canada white with the red
leaf.

> This would solve the problem with the red symbols, yes.

i don't think we need to worry too much about preserving the colour of
the
symbols - it is the shape which really matters; a gold crown with a red
maple leaf or dragon is just going to be a pain (and never ever
heraldically correct unless you put them on different parts, yech). i
sez
we should have all symbols in gold, on a white or coloured background
according to use. on paper, it could equally be black on white.
engraved,
it would just be outline.

Tom