Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Tech dispersal to the frontier Next: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and nowsomebackground) [OT] [HIST]

Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and now somebackground) [OT] [HIST]

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:14:10 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [fh] nac vexilliology was Re: Awards and Anthems(and now somebackground) [OT] [HIST]

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, laserlight wrote:
> > >england - three lions
> leopards, technically--a lion in a specific position
> > >scotland - lion rampant / thistle
> unicorn
> > >wales - dragon
> wyvern

pedant! still, it's always good to be accurate. pedantry is a virtue.

> > >army - war department arrowhead
> the broad arrow is/was a symbol for government property, including for
> example prison garb

fair enough. it's certainly not really generally recognisable enough to
be
used as the symbol of the army.

> I suggest a blue field.  The crown, leopards, harp, eagle, fleur de
lys,
> globe, and anchor should be gold.  The unicorn and broad arrow should
be
> white.  The wyvern, hand, and leaf should be red, which is not in
> accordance with the rules of heraldry if displayed on a blue field.
> Perhaps instead a canton (upper left quarter) can be changed to the
> appropriate background color, e.g. for Canada white with the red leaf.

a great many flags - the british for a start - do not follow the rules
of
heraldry, on the grounds that they're flags and not shields. i think we
could probably get away with yellow on white. and if not, then we can
always claim that it is a 'crown proper'!

Tom