Prev: Re: [FT universe] Next: RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availabi lity

Re: erm... power armour

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:11:40 -0500
Subject: Re: erm... power armour

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> There was one other thing I thought of also. A lot of military
training
> is based on attaining "muscle memory" or unthinking action to cause a
> certain function, as this has been found more effective than having to
> think of stuff.

Martial arts training has been using this "kinesic" or "kinesthetic"
memory now for centuries. Repetition, especially when you are too
tired to think, gets the response ingrained as a reflex.
There is some psychology here too - like driving a car - the first
time you do it, its all you can do since you are totally focused on
it and it ties you up (its all of the seven tasks your brain can
handle at once). Later, it becomes automatic, and really becomes just
one task, allowing your brain to do some other things - daydream,
drink coffee, listen to the radio, eat a sandwich, etc.

 Then while you are racing along the fret, your mind, is
> thinking along a more "holistic approach" to the piece you are
> performing, while you're fingers are carrying out the instructions
> without being micro managed. This is hard to explain, but lets say
> during a lead, I want a certain 3 second long riff, containing a dozen
> notes and bends, to be followed by a different 4 second riff, then end
> up with a 2 second thing.

Grouping of actions. The brain can handle up to seven things, and if
they are grouped, they become one 'thing'.

It's kind of interesting. I see a
> neural interface taking advantage of that type of learned muscle
memory
> also. I mean, that's how we walk run etc. etc. I have a weapons jam,
> I've recognized it somewhere in my subconscious, my fingers perform
the
> operation while my mind is thinking of other things like assessing
local
> threats, etc.

Quite likely. The PA trooper would have certain actions ground into
reflex.

> I think if you take advantage of muscle memory you are gaining two
> advantages:
> 1. It sure as hell makes programming the suit software a hell of a lot
> easier and alleviates memory storage requirements.

Although you have to program the user.

> 3. Use of the muscles multiplies the range of responses and actions
that
> the suit can perform (simultaneously).  It's "unnatural" not to use
the
> muscles, which makes training doubly long and difficult. In particular
> in any situation where stress and danger are presented, it is natural
> human instinct to revert back to baser responses and instincts. That's
> what make muscular action such a plus.

That's what we need for games these days - a better interface than
keyboard and mouse to allow better control.

> The neural net is a great idea for anyone operating a piece of
military
> equipment
>  It should strive to reduce our actions in combat back down to "stick
> and rudder" or "seat of the pants", which is how humans were designed
> operate. Take away all the higher level distraction which comes from
> sensory overload. There's your advantage.

Might let you have better opportunities to think in a tactical or
strategic fashion too.

> I also scammed a couple gross of small black ants and spiders. I took
> some GW epic 40k space marines and am mounting painting and mounting
> them individually as PA for some DS scenarios.

Little black ants are cool. :)

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [FT universe] Next: RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availabi lity