Prev: Re: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: "Alex Shvarts, Andrew & Brian Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 15:28:12 +1200
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@swob.dna.fi> wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Sep 1998 tom.anderson@altavista.net wrote:
>> this is because the HS SPDS is not a generic system - it is a system
>> highly specific to its genre. that you cannot take an HS army to a
>> bring'n'battle where other players are fielding vanilla armies is not
>> fault of DS2 - it is impossible in *any* system, because it simply
does
>> not make any sense. in the vanilla genre, GMS is useful; in the HS
genre
>> it is not. both of these genres cannot be in use at the same time.
>
>I can not agree. Playing *in* the Slammers universe does NOT
necessarily
>mean playing *with* Hammer's Slammers (or the top-notch tech they
have).

>Take the indig forces in the final battle of The Warrior. They were
>warring before either merc force showed up with powerguns and other
fancy
>stuff. You might want to play pure hashemites vs. whoever-they-were.
>These forces *did* utilize GMS, apparently to some effect.
    Then you need rules to adequately simulate wire guided missile
systems
and laser designated missile systems. You still need to disallow DSII
GMS.

>Perhaps the change in warfare brought in by the appearance of the mercs
is
>*exactly* the thing you want to "simulate", playing some battles with
>indig only forces and then some with merc support added.
    The "you" here is "Mikko" not "Tom".

>Are you suggesting that the first battles are to be fought with rules
>options A and the later ones with options B? Where's the learning
>experience in that?
    Actually Tom didn't say that! You did. Don't put words in his mouth
or
text in his e-mail! The learning experience is in finding out the
difference
between wire-guided and laser-designated missile systems and fire and
forget
DSII GMS.

>No. The right answer is to properly cost the Slammers SPDS (and other
>equipment). Yes, they are practically immune to GMS, but they should
pay
>through the nose for that ability.
    Sorry, HS doesn't have PDS or ECM. They are vulnerable to DSII GMS.
Properly costing wire-guided and laser-designated missiles is more the
issue.

>Once you get the points cost right, there's no reason Slammers couldn't
>play in a pickup game.
    Appropriate limitations would still have to apply to the opponent
forces. Like no GMS, only wire-guided or laser designated missile
systems.

>If they still get to face a GMS-only force, well, isn't combined arms,
>variety and all that exactly what the realism advocates always keep
>preaching about?
    A GMS armed force facing a HS genre force would slaughter the HS
force.
There would be no laser designators aimed at the HS force. GMS would be
fired from VTOLs performing pop-ups. The GMS would be coming in at
supersonic speeds with no noticeable launching flash. The HS force would
not
be able to knock down the GMS as their satellites won't be able to
detect
the launcher's flash in time before the missile strikes. Remember that,
in
DSII, turret down and hull down modifiers don't apply versus GMS
attacks.
Only ECM and PDS can defend, due to the speed the missile travels at.
Also
remember that while iridium protects well against powergun shots, it
defends
the same as normal armour against shaped charge warheads.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: Re: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.