Prev: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:27:05 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers

You wrote:

>> i was thinking an american would. in particular, i would have
thought >john atkinson would whip out his byzantine coppers and prove
me wrong.

>As I recall, the excubitores were well armored, and took the opinion
that >if they could catch you, you were guilty.

Excubitores were military elements of Imperial Guard, but as I
mentioned, Byzantines did not have the same military/police split we
do, nor did they have Posse Commitatus.

We can also point to the Nika riots where two generals with their
personal bucellaroi killed approximately 5,000 people, with another
5,000 suffocated in the crush to escape.  Doesn't Narses rock?	And as
for Belisarius. . . For an SF version of this incident check David
Drake's Counting the Cost (included in his new compilation Caught in
the Crossfire).

John M. Atkinson

Prev: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.