Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [MISC] alternative rules

Re; [OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:50:28 +0200
Subject: Re; [OT] Women wargamers -longish

Tony Wilkinson wrote:

> >	There was a "warrior queen" named Boadicea in Roman age
> >	Britain who gave the Romans a hard time.  She conquered
> >	the Roman colony of Camulodunum (now Cholchester)
> >	and defeated an entire Roman division.
>
>	Yep a nasty piece of work however she got beat in the only
pitched
battle
> of the revolt. I think by division you mean Legion (about 5000 men).
IIRC
> no legions were lost although several smaller units and their forts
were
> overrun.

No, by division he probably means some other sort of detachment - IIRC
almost half of the 9th legion was ambushed and bloodily defeated while
marching from south from Eboracum in the early part of the revolt. I've
seen some figures talking about 2000 men lost, which would've been a
pretty bad defeat for the Romans.

>	She ruled Palmyra. Odenathus, her predessor,

Um... husband.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [MISC] alternative rules