Prev: Re; [OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Fleet Book Fighter Questions

Re: [MISC] alternative rules

From: Steve Blease <steve.blease@c...>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:20:26 +0100
Subject: Re: [MISC] alternative rules

Tony Francis wrote:

> > > Essentially, I'm looking for the "De Bellis Antiquitas" of science
fiction
> > > ground action.  Is there such a thing already, or do I need to
design it
> > > myself and reap all the fame and wealth that would thereby accrue
> > > to me ; )
>
> Try Wessex Games' rules, can't remember the name off the top of my
> head .. Steve Blease (the author) is on this list, I'm sure he can
> tell you more.
>
> They have plenty of pre-defined designs for GZG models, are simpler
> than DSII (but not to the point of being no-brainer rules) and are
quite
> quick to pick up and play.
>
> I remember, Iron Cow, that's what they're called (it's been a long
week ...)

Iron Cow is a simple set of quick play rules that we designed for
beginners to introduce them to the joys of 6mm SF, but they have been
very popular with more experienced gamers looking to spend time on the
table killing things rather than hours interpretating a rulesbook. An
average game with about fifty MBT's fifteen IFV's, an artillery battery
and a half a dozen VTOL's will last about two to three hours. The
systems are simple, but tend to achieve the right result (or at least my
idea of the right result - infantry in the open die in droves and some
people disagree, well fine).

The DBA comment may be quite apt as one reviewer (Alex Stewart in
Valkyrie) called them the SF equivalent to HOTT.

The BAD news is that they're out of print...

It's a long boring story, but basically I haven't given up the day job,
wear too many hats and whilst the second edition (Iron Cow 2136AD) is
almost finalised (just some AFV stats to do), Wessex Games is
concentrating on finishing PanzerfaĆ¼ste our WW2 fantasy rules before
releasing IC2136AD.

The major change is that the game is no longer set in the official FT
universe Jon and I devised, but in one similar (I'm sure most gamers can
translate it back if they wish), although there are some new rules and
other odd improvements on morale, orders, aircraft and artillery.

Unless anyone has any major objections (I appreciate this is a GZG list
NOT a WG one!) I'll post an advice when the second edition is published
so anyone interested can contact me direct - if that is okay?

Cheers

Steve

Prev: Re; [OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Fleet Book Fighter Questions