Prev: Re: Another TD idea Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: Stargrunt 2 Morale Questions and Comments

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 1998 14:42:50 GMT
Subject: Re: Stargrunt 2 Morale Questions and Comments

I'm replying to this a little bit late, but I wanted to think about a
few
things first...

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:57:44 -0400 (EDT), Kenneth Winland
<kwinland@chass.utoronto.ca> wrote:

>	Yeah, Vets and Elites are for the most part unencumbered by
morale
>problems.  That's why we play mostly with Regs, with the occaisional
Vet
>or Green (talk about morale problems!).

This is probably part of my problem... too many veterans. I'll have to
make
sure most of the troops are regulars with only the occasional veteran. I
haven't used elites yet. I'll leave them for commandos and the like.

>> During the con, the house rule used by Jeff Guillion was that a unit
only
>	By the time a unit has lost half of its strength, its morale
>should have dropped a bit, unless you are lucky (or a Vet).  Of course,
>even if you are confident at only half of your squad size, more
casualties
>WILL gut your morale.

Not necessarily. This is where I'm not crazy about the rules. Say you
had a
six man squad, down to 3 men. The squad has lost half its strength.
Let's
assume it is still confident. If it loses 1 more man, it tests as though
it
lost a casualty. Since it still has more or the same number of men after
taking the casualty as before, the test is at TL0. It can still pass
this
test. Even one more casualty will drop it from 2 men to one, which means
there
are still more or the same number of men after taking that casualty as
before...

>	We've had no problem with this, as it simulates nicely part of
the
>'Fog of War'.	Each squad has their own fight or variables to deal
with.
>Absract things like 'Oh, beta squad just got hammered' may not mean a
lot,
>especially when you may not hear of it during the heat of battle.

That's where this kind of morale rule gets a bit tricky. I would say,
though,
that in a modern battle this becomes more of an issue. You hear guys
yelling
over the radio as someone next to them screams. In the future, your
mapping
system starts to show squads as having lost men, or even obliterated.
That's
bound to have a minus on morale.

I can agree with you with regard to SG2, though. I found this was more
of a
problem with DS2.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: Another TD idea Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.