Prev: Re: Stargrunt 2 Morale Questions and Comments Next: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 00:55:45 +1000
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Andrew Martin wrote:
>
> >	The WRG rules model the differences so indifferently, that most
players
> > don't play in certain periods with some nationalities as they know
that
> > certain combinations are ineffective, even though they were
effective in
> > WWII. For example, early war German tanks can't destroy French and
English
> > tanks. Also, mid war German tanks can't destroy Russian tanks.
>
> Well, I never said it didn't have it's share of shortcomings, though I
> don't recall anything quite that bad. Which edition are you playing?
I too am interested. It's getting rather OT here, but the latest WRG
rules I've found to give the most realistic simulations of combat there
are.

Take Matilda IIs vs Pz Is, and you will do well. Take them vs Pz IIs,
you'll do somewhat less well, as the 20mm incendiary ammunition can KO a
Matilda II (as a Sherman can KO a Tiger... not likely!). Pz IIIs with
37mm are nearly useless.

Look at Arras. This is what actually happened. It took field guns etc to
drive them away. OTOH if you take a look at the SKIRMISH etc
capabilities of the Germans in 1940 vs the very restrictive capabilities
the Brits had in 1940, you'll see how inferior armour thickness and
equality in gun strength are both outweighed by tactical prowess.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: Stargrunt 2 Morale Questions and Comments Next: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade