Prev: Re: DS/SG Question Next: Re: GZG DS/SG Question

RE: [OT] Re: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movies

From: "John Jeffery Shoemark" <shoemark@a...>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 20:38:19 +1000
Subject: RE: [OT] Re: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movies

Yes, Los is completely correct. This is a comms code to verify strength
and
clarity of signal. This was originally before strength signal LEDs etc.
All
people who used radio comms on a regular basis (such as pilots,sailors)
became familiar with the term and it became common practice to rate
anything
achieved with a 100% success to be 5X5. the trick was of course learning
the
degrees of quality eg if 5x5 is clear and strong, what exactly does 4x3
sound like? I had a comms instructor who swore he could tell the
difference
and rate each signal accordingly and accurately. But then he was
artillery
and I don't believe he could hear much at all let alone the difference
between signals!!

On shorthands, it took me a little while to understand what Yanks meant
by
24,7. And then every time I turned on the TV somebody was using the
term!

John Shoemark