Prev: Re: New Fighter Types Next: Re: Some FT questions

Re: Need Physics Help!

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:12:00 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Need Physics Help!

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Richard Slattery wrote:

> When I said, gravity sucks, I meant, if you do manage to get /too/
> close to something with more gravity than the earth...  a gas giant
> for example, you could be in serious trouble.

Yes, but too close is surprisingly close -- especially if have a
substantial initial velocity.

> With regard to fighting near a planet... yup, I'd prefer to if I'm
> defending and it has orbiting defenses to help my fleet.

Well, if 1 MU = 1000km, your defenders around an earth-like planet maybe
2000-10000km away from the planet feel the tug, but their opponents can
take 20"-30" shots with negligible gravity effects -- a bit like taking
your wet navy fleet so close to shore that you risk running aground to
gain the help of shore batteries. In other words, a trade-off now always
worth the risk.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: New Fighter Types Next: Re: Some FT questions