Prev: Re: KV in the New System Next: Re: KV in the New System

Origins'98 - a 'mini' con report

From: "No, kitty, it's my chicken pot pie!" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 10:14:12 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Origins'98 - a 'mini' con report

		  Origins '98 - a mini <cough> Con Report
			  by Mark 'Indy' Kochte

My schedule for this summer has been in a serious state of fluxx, and I
wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make either Origins or Gen Con.
As spring came and started to go, my summer plans began to take shape
and I found I would be able to attend Origins, but not Gen Con (being
atop of Granite Mountain in Montana that weekend will put a *slight*
crimp in trying to be at the con at the same time ;-). So to Origins I
went, prepared to run a gamut of Full Thrust/FB demo games for
KR/Geo-Hex.

BTW, this is rather long. You've been warned! Print it out and take it
home to read at dinner or something.

The highlights of this con, aside from gaming, were guest appearances by
Mira Furlan (who was at GenCon last year with Rick Biggs), David Prowse
(aka, Darth Vader), and Jeremy Bulloch (Boba Fett). KR and Nelson were
there from Oregon representing Geo-Hex.

I arrived friday, late morning. Once I got my stuff dropped off in the
hotel room, I located KR to find out what kind of schedule he had set
for me. It turned out to be a fairly light one: friday 2p-5p and 7p-11p,
and sunday 10a-4p were our allotted times. All other demo times were
taken up by other games. Alas. Well, I was psyched to be there, anyway.
I had scenarios to run, booths to browse, and people to see.
Unfortunately
I was on a serious budget, trying to prepare for my next major
adventure,
so I couldn't buy out half the dealers' stock like I intended. Ah well!

Now as this is supposed to be a report on the *gaming* activities that
occurred at the con, I'll skip most of the non-gaming/non-gaming-related
stuff I did.  ;-)  I apologize ahead of time if I deviate slightly.

There were two of us at the con who were doing demos for KR: myself and
a guy named Mike (whose last name I have just totally spaced!). There
were a couple other fellows at the con running FT and DSII games: Mike
Henthorn (doing a couple FT games on friday/saturday, and a DSII game
on sunday), and the guy who intro'd me to FT, Daryl Poe (who was doing
a neutron star FT scenario using vectored movement). Other than that,
I don't think there were any other FT, SGII, or DSII games going on at
the con this weekend. There were a few list members scattered hither
and yon (Jim Bell was there and I ran into him a number of times), but
I'm not sure if I saw them all or not.

So anyway, Mike had fallen ill from something he ate (or maybe it tried
later eat him?) and wasn't feeling up to running a game so I
'volunteered'
to do both the friday slots (hell, I was prepared to run upwards of 6
demo
scenarios! :). After a quick browse through the dealer room and a stop
or
three to say hi to some friends, I went to run my first demo game of the
weekend.

Unfortunately, no one showed. But I wanted to play, so I managed to
d-r-a-g
Mike (who was feeling queasy, but could run a few ships) into a game and
we did one of my scenarios: "La Foudre-Greve Encounter", an FSE/NSL
scenario
I put together, pitting the FSE CVA "La Foudre-Greve" (loosely and
probably
badly translated from 'thunder strike') with escorts against an NSL
battle
force centered around two NSL BDNs. Mike had never encountered
Salvo-Missiles
before, and had never played with fighters, so this was going to be an
education for him (he took the NSL, leaving me the FSE). On the other
hand,
I have limited experience with the FSE tactics (notably proper SM
tactics
in a drawn-out battle), so this was an interesting challenge for me,
too.

The scenario, which the details you can find at:

   http://scivax.stsci.edu/~kochte/s3.html

let me come charging in at the NSL force, who decided the best course of
action was to slow down to a snail's pace of 2-4. By the time I hit
their
ships, I was cranking in at 14-16, my SMs were well-placed, and my
fighters
were overcoming their defenses (with his ships moving at speed 2, I
didn't
need to move my fighters much to hit his ships; my die rolls, on the
other
hand, were less than admirable, considering the broad side of the barn
that
was being presented to me).

As some of you prolly already know, those NSLs are DAMNED tough ships to
take
out! A full 40% of all SM fire I did was knocked out of the sky by PDS'.
I lost
51% of my fighters to their interceptors and PDS' by the end of the
game. And I
had lost each and every escorting vessel the FSE had assigned to the
CVA. The
"La Foudre-Greve", on the other hand, had only suffered just less than
2/3
damage to the *first* row of boxes by the time it shot through the
middle of
the NSL fleet and proceeded to disengage in the opposite direction.

When the smoke had cleared, all I had managed to do was destroy one NSL
BDN,
critically damage the other BDN (it had 9 damage pts left), seriously
injure
the NSL CA, and touch moderate to light damage to a couple of the
smaller
escorting DDs and FGs. Both their Interceptor squadrons had been taken
out,
but at a cost to my fighters (good rolls, Mike!).

Thus ended game 'demo' #1. Several people stopped by, watched us, then
moved
on, even after I offered to let them take over some ships. Alas, oh
well. Mike
Henthorn was running his attack on a base station scenario a couple of
tables
over from us and had a good number of people there playing.

Game Demo #2 was scheduled for 7pm, as noted above. I had, at this
point,
run into several list members or ex-list members (who have taken
themselves
off this list due to the signal-to-noise ratio, even if it is generally
less
than other lists). They wanted to play, and had been looking forward to
my
running something, but they also wanted to see the fireworks (which,
surprise
surprise, were scheduled at 9:45p THAT evening, the 3rd, and not the 4th
like
I had originally thought). I told them no problem. We'll do a quick
scenario,
have everyone kill off everyone else, then go see the fireworks! And
basically,
that's what happened.

When I got back from dinner, I found 6 people (+2 kids, roughly 10 yrs
old?)
waiting at the table (and knew 2 more guys, Robert Line and Mike
Henthorn, were
going to be coming once they finished their dinner). Great! 8 players. I
had a
scenario set up for 4-8 players. :)  (see also:
http://scivax.stsci.edu/~kochte/s6.html - "Eye of the Tiger"). This
scenario,
in a nutshell, pitted cruiser squadrons from the 4 major powers against
each
other in an attempt to retrieve a 'valuable resource' from one of two
asteroids
which were set in the middle of the field (these were substantial
asteroids: I
used a pocket thesaurus and a large miniatures box from a Superior
Starfleet
Wars capital ship, measuring ~5" on the side). I announced that should a
ship
touch one of these asteroids, they would suffer damage equal to
1d6x(ship
velocity) in beam damage. No other asteroids were on the map, so
navigation
should be relatively straight-forward. However, two people managed to
'land'
their ships on asteroids the hard way (one an FT vet, the other had
played only
once before). But more on that later.

At a neighboring table Daryl Poe was running his neutron star scenario.
It
was filled with people (I believe he had 12 preregistered a month or two
BEFORE
the con! and they were all there...). Later I asked him how it went; he
said no
one fell into the neutron star, no one flew off the table, and everyone
managed
to quickly grasp the vectored movement system, where most of them had
never
tried it before. Chalk up another point for the optional system.  :)

Anyway, back to my game. As can be predicted, the ESU and FSE made a
loose
alliance against the NSL and NAC, while the NAC and NSL did the same (by
'loose
alliance' I mean they weren't firing at each other - yet, but would
support
each other against their traditional enemies if the opportunity
presented
itself). So the game proceeded and people went to town, scanning the
asteroids
for the 'valuable resource' and attacking their enemy fleets. It was
during
this that one FSE (relative FT newbie) and one ESU (FT vet) navigated
their
ships (a DD I think and the sole CA, respectively) straight into the
asteroids.
The FSE ship did not survive...but the ESU cruiser managed to! Took
'only' a
bit more than half its total damage, and lost very little to threshold
checks,
so was still a viable ship to fight with. The game continued. The next
turn the
FSE launched a spread of SMs, intending on intercepting the NSL fleet
coming
around the asteroid. The ESU also navigated to intercept the NSL
squadron.
Unfortunately for the FSE and ESU, the NSL's anticipated this manuever,
and
slammed on the brakes - hard! The ESU ended up sitting at the edge of
the SM
line, and their escort cruiser became a target for a volley or three of
SMs.
Robert Line and Mike Henthorn were playing the NSL, and they role-play
them
very well. Robert can do a great German accent, so stood up and called
to the
ESU side, saying, "Hey Ivan. I haf an Aegis Fire Control. How much money
do
you haf?" (read this in a *deep* germanic accent...failing that you had
be there, I guess).

To make a long encounter short, the ESU did not pay, and lost their
ship.
More fighting continued between the sides, and in the end the ESU and
FSE were
leaving, and what was left of the NAC also retreated, leaving the NSL
time
to retrieve the 'valuable resource'.

Then we did the fireworks thing, then game back at 11p and did another
game!
Several of the players from the scenario (Scott Miller, Robert Line,
Mike
Henthorn - who, btw, is not the same Mike I mentioned earlier who was
doing
demos with me) wanted to try out the vectored movement sytem. So we set
up an
ESU/FSE encounter ( http://scivax.stsci.edu/~kochte/s4.html ) and went
to it.
There were a few of asteroids on the board for navigational hazards
(again,
these were the LARGE asteroids, not dinky inch-sized ones ;). We were
also
using the Core Systems rules, something I don't use very much.

Anyway, it was a late night, but the game ended in a couple hours, with
the FSE
getting their heads handed to them in a bad way. Both sides decided to
'split'
their forces up, us (the FSE) to bracket the other side, and the ESU to
give
themselves maneuvering room. I had set us up at a far enough distance
apart for
people to play for a turn or two with the vectored system (it took a
couple of
them a while to get the hang of it; it wasn't as intuitive as the
original FT
movement system), but they managed to deal with it okay (and got a
couple of
really nice maneuvers in by accident). So the ESU came straight in,
while we
FSE split up to bracket. A few turns later we were in engagement range.
I laid
a sweet string of SMs out to intercept the incoming ESU ships (I kept
the
standard range loads, while Scott traded all his in for extended-range
SMs),
and Scott set a scattered spread behind mine (for him extreme range).
Well,
the ESU then did two things: the rear squadron hit the breaks and veered
off,
while the forward squadron hit the accelerator. Now we were also using
the
SM burst radius as being 3 inches, as recommended by the FleetBook. KR
later
told us that his group found this to be too limiting, even in the vector
system and they now use the 6 inch burst radius all the time.

Well, the end result of our SM fire was that EVERY ESU ship was outside
the
burst radius of my SMs, while those Scott put out caught a few ESU
ships.
But the ESU weren't too worried; they knocked most of them down in short
order. And then they proceeded to knock *my* ships down! Seriously laid
waste
to my Jerez-class heavy cruiser, and knocked out the power plant core
system.
At this point this guy had walked over to check out our game. He then
walked
over and looked at my ship sheet over my shoulder and said, "I take it
by
the damage to your ship that you must be Mark Kochte."

(and that's when I shot him, your Honor)

This by-stander turned out to be none other than Joachim Heck. He hung
out and
kibitzed with us while we finished the scenario (my cruiser eventually
blew
from being unable to repair the power plant, my light cruiser also took
a power
plant hit but was destroyed outright by ESU weapons fire, Scott's ships
were
mauled, and my super destroyer was raked over pretty good; all in all it
was a
serious FSE loss, though Scott managed to escape with a couple of his
lighter
ships (his BC, on the other hand, was eventually taken out, having no
thrust
engines left). Thus the scenario ended. We sat around and chatted a bit,
then
headed off to our respective beds and homes. It was 1:30 when I finally
crawled
into bed.

Saturday. 7am. I was awake. Half hour later showered and on my way out
the
door. As there were no demo times set for today, I was free to browse
deeper in
the dealer room. But I was also psyched to play more FT, as were a few
of the
guys from the evening before, so we made arrangements to get together at
some
table at 7pm again, do some more playing. I told KR our enthusiasm and
he was
able to dig up an 'official' demo table for us to play on. We had a
table
reserved from 7p-11p again. :)	The rest of the day I wandered the
dealer room,
sold off a few Magic cards I've been looking to let go of, visited with
gaming
and non-gaming friends who were at the con, played a game of Astro Smash
(Silent Death rules), spent a bit more money than I intended (christ,
those AOG
ships are **expensive**!!), and prepped for the evening scenario. 7p
finally
rolled around and I went to find the table we had reserved...and found
no one
around. Turned out everyone was over playing in Mike Henthorn's scenario
at the
time (which started before the 7p demo time we had gotten). So I hung
out,
napped for a bit (that lack of sleep thing really drains), and when
Mike's
scenario finished, went to his table (since he still had his black game
mat on
the table I didn't have to break my starmat out :), and 'recruited' a
few
players for a game.

The details of the two games we ended up playing I cannot divulge, as
they were
early playtest ideas. But suffice it to say 5 of us played two FT games
from
8-ish to 1-ish, then sat around for another hour+ talking about a great
many
things dealing with FT (the playtest games, the FleetBook and various
aspects
of it, such as the core rules and different ideas people had about them
(one
idea was to have the core systems only roll once for the block of them
instead
of for each one of them, then if the block suffered a threshold hit,
roll to
see which one took it), and so on and so forth. We were joined by a
couple
other people for the idea-jam session, and I thought it very productive.

Sunday. Sunday was my day to depart, so wasn't able to do the 10a-4p
demo time.
I slept in 'til 8am this time.
Mike-the-guy-who-got-the-demo-schedule-for-us
took that slot, but moved it to 12n-4p. I meant to stop by and see how
things
were going, but I spent the latter half of the morning running around
the con
looking for a few people to say 'bye' to before heading out. I had a
rather
long drive ahead of me (~7 hours), and had some old college friends who
still
lived in town I wanted to see before I headed back, so bolted by
noon-thirty.
I did see Mike Henthorn who was running a DSII game sunday, but
unfortunately
nobody showed! Most of his players had already paid in prereg, and he
also
knew a couple more people had signed up that morning...well, their
money, we
figure. I helped him fold up his gear before heading out.

And that, in the proverbial nutshell (hah!!) is my Origins Con Report.
If you
managed to hang in there this long...you need help!  ;-)

This will very likely be my last post to the list as I'm taking off on a
rather
extended vacation for ~5 weeks. Anyone in the New Mex/Colorado/Wyoming
area
wanna get together and play a game or three? (I'll wave to y'all in
Texas; not
planning on stopping long except out in the Guadalupe Mtns ;)

Y'all have a good summer now, ya heah? Try to keep the noise down while
I'm
gone...  :)

Mk

-
"Well, you could do that. And I could nail your head to the table, set
fire
to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'Ma'Ra. But, it's an
imperfect
world, and we never get exactly what we want. So get used to it."

Prev: Re: KV in the New System Next: Re: KV in the New System