Prev: Re: John Atkinson Next: Re: John Atkinson

Re: Vivre la Quebec libre!! (8-) (was Re: Odd FT Idea)

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 21:40:44 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Vivre la Quebec libre!! (8-) (was Re: Odd FT Idea)

You wrote:

>It's still on the rolls as a National guard infantry regt in teh 29th
Div. Some of >them just got back from 6 months in Bosnia.

As a 29th Infantry Division trooper, yeah, that's the 116th Infantry
Regiment.  Most distinguished and decorated regiment in the National
Guard.	Hit the beach at Omaha, etc, etc, etc. C/1/116th did a tour in
Bosnia.  I might also mention that my Batallion, the 229th Engineer
Batallion traces it's lineage back to a Civil War infantry regiment
that also fought in WWI and II.  US Regiments can be old, and we are
AFAIK the only nation that re-integrated the loosing side's army after
a civil war.  BTW, the oldest units in the National Guard are stationed
in Lexington and Concord and carry battle honors from same.  Though the
oldest National Guard is the Virginia one--est. 1607 as the Colony of
Virginia Militia under command of one Cpt. John Smith, a mercenary who
made his reputation fighting against the Turks.  IIRC, that goes back
before the British Army (not founded until the Restoration after
English Civil War, when New Model Army laid down it's arms).

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while some of the Regular
Army units come and go, the Guard is OLD, and the odds of our
permitting some piddly little economic crash and civil war interrupting
lineages that go back before the US was a nation are practically nil.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: John Atkinson Next: Re: John Atkinson