Prev: Back to Platoon Leaders Next: Florida, was RE: Low Tech Scenarios

Morale, was Re: Low Tech Scenarios

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 06:52:07 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Morale, was Re: Low Tech Scenarios

You wrote:

>Re: Morale rules. (I know another tangent). With most wargames, most
of >your battles are resolved through attrition, (regardless of the

Winning battles through attrition is to the art of war as a paint by
the numbers kit is to the Mona Lisa.
	    Frystaat military axiom[1]

morale >rules if any). In real battles, you are defeating the enemy's
morale or >will to resist. Inflicting the greatest shock in the
shortest period of >time. That's why to me a good set of morale rules
would show losses >inflicted in a very short period of time stopping
forces as opposed to >prolonged losses over a long period of time. For

I think DS would be much improved by rules for morale of entire force,
rather than just the platoons.	BTW, am I the only person who thinks
that it's damn near impossible to break a normal-sized platoon which
starts off confident?

example, a company losing >50% casualties over the space of four hours,
might still be combat >effective, but a company losing 50% casualties
in four minutes is probably >gonna pack it in.

Probably?  Unless they've got the NKVD behind them with HMGs. . .

[1]Name that quote!

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Back to Platoon Leaders Next: Florida, was RE: Low Tech Scenarios