Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Morale, was Re: Low Tech Scenarios

Back to Platoon Leaders

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 20:13:56 +1000
Subject: Back to Platoon Leaders

To change tack a little,

I've been putting some thought to some of the discussions about Platoon
Leaders.

Given that most "Real Life" Platoon Commanders do have a Platoon
Sergeant to guide them much of teh time and ride herd over the 'uppity'
section commanders/squad leaders, I've given soem thought to this as a
suggestion for use of Pl Leaders.

Treat the Platoon Commander and Platoon Sergeant as individuals as the
good rules do allow. Roll for their individual Quality and Leadership
values.

With respect to communications and activating squads:

1.	The Platoon Sergeant may pass ONE communication per game TURN to
activate a squad IF the Platoon Commander has only attempted to activate
one so far. Similarly, if the Platoon Sergeant has  already activated
another squad via a communication then the Platoon Commander may only
activate one squad. In other words, as a pair the Pl Comd/Sgt may still
only activate a maximum of TWO squads per turn.

2.	The Platoon Commander and Platoon Sergeant should remain within
6 inches of a squad at all times (come on we don't want Audie Murphies
running all over the place). They may join a squad at any time, but do
not take control of the squad unless it is the HQ squad. (From my own
experience the Section Commander is generally going to do a better job
of running his own section then the LT or SGT!).

Given that it is generally accepted that all troops will have built in
helmet radios, the sight of the LT running up the hill with the Sig
trailing along behind, joined by the umbilical of a hand set lead will
not be seen on the battlefield of 2188!

In most TO&Es the HQ squad becomes more of a support squad, perhaps the
junior squad leader gets to work under teh eye of the Pl Sgt. Or perhaps
the SENIOR squad leader gets to see how the Platoon HQ runs from a
little closer?!

I think this might give the flavour that a lot of people are looking for
(and maybe use something similar already?).

Okay, any comments?

Owen G

Prev: RE: Low Tech Scenarios Next: Morale, was Re: Low Tech Scenarios