Prev: Re: Low tech SG (was Re: A Humble Request) Next: Re: Random ramblings.

RE: Low Tech Scenarios

From: John Skelly <canjns@c...>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 23:43:25 -0400
Subject: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

You wrote:

>There was no use
>thinking of escape.  The bayonet was my only hope. I had been an
>enthusiastic bayonet fighter in time of peace and had acquired
>considerable proficincy.  Even with odds of three to one against me, I
>had complete confidence inthe weapon and in my ability.  As I rushed
>forward, the enemy fired.  Struck, I went head over heels and wound up
>a few paces in front of the enemy.  A bullet entering sideways, had
>shattered my upper left leg; and blood spurted from a wound as large as

>my fist."

>Doesn't sound like a bayonet charge terriffied those two Frenchmen.
>And if it doesn't scare Frenchmen, who does it unnerve?  In the closing

>notes to the chapter, Rommel notes, "In a man to man fight, the winner
>is he who has one more round in his magazine."

Nice quote John, rarely do you see Erwin's book quoted.  But the
Frenchmen probably were scared, heck I would be.  Psychology has a huge
impact in combat (speaking as a scholar not as a participant).	You are
wrong to think that it comes down to practicality...'I have rifle, he
has knife, I win'......but is more like a split second fight or flight
reaction.  Maybe the majority of times the guy with the gun realizes he
has the advantage and uses it.	But I bet there are times when the
yelling screaming fanatic with the knife convinces the rifleman he has
to run...

John, usually your posts are good so why the remark about Frenchmen?

Prev: Re: Low tech SG (was Re: A Humble Request) Next: Re: Random ramblings.