Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Low tech SG (was Re: A Humble Request)

From: tlsmith@m... (Terrance L. Smith)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 21:16:17 -0600
Subject: Re: Low tech SG (was Re: A Humble Request)

>You wrote:
>
>>I am thinking of breach loader rifles and no electronic
>>communications.
>
>I assume by that you mean something like the Martini-Henry or the US
>Springfield, in which case the impact could be substantial.

I am arming aliens (using Space 1889 Martians), so was not thinking of
these specific rifles. This makes the question of impact open to
personal
preference. In part I am trying to avoid reproducing human arms. On the
other hand, perhaps your local friendly arms dealer has managed to
import a
warehouse full of Springfields (assuming you could still find a
warehouse
of the things).

>Primitive machine guns--Maxims?  Gatlings?

Yes, I am planning to add a Gatling (cannot call it that though, it's
supposed to be an alien weapon).

>Zulus with spears?

One idea, to get a battle doctrine different from modern (future?)
humans,
is to include some pike and sword men. The standard tactic will then be
fire for a suppression result, then charge into melee with the sharp
pointy
things. This should make things interesting as the aliens will not be
able
to stand up to a firefight, but if they get the chance to charge the
picture totally changes.

>John M. Atkinson

Terrance L. Smith, Ph.D.
tlsmith@micron.net
Nampa, Idaho

Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Low Tech Scenarios