Prev: Re: Mobile mines Next: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Low Tech Scenarios

From: tom411@j... (Thomas E Hughes)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 16:18:48 -0500
Subject: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

On Sat, 16 May 1998 10:38:25 -0500 (CDT) jatkins6@ix.netcom.com (John
Atkinson) writes:

>>Most bolt action military rifles were .30 cal (7.62mm) and the old
>mussel >loaders were even larger calibers (.56cal? 14.22mm?) I would
>suggest it >would be more accurate to have a higher Impact d10 or d12
>even to reflect >the heavier calibers.
>
>Nao, can't believe that a black-powder weapon has same impact as a
>gauss rifle.  Larger caliber, but _much_ lower muzzle velocity.  Leave
>it d8 or so.

If you read some American Civil War history you would find out how
mistaken that statement was. A one ounce Minnie ball was something of a
A-- kicker. They did so much damage that the idea of "removing the
bullet" was a rare thing, they just cut off the limb that was hit
(because the damage was so great).

>>Why not give the low tech troopers really good close assault weapons
>like >bayonets, entrenching shovels (re:WWI) and or a shot gun or two.
>
>I >beleive these would be classed as terror weapons.
>
>Feh.  Not likely.  We already discussed this.

Sorry John, I believe you are still wrong. If agreed upon, or part of
the
scerario they can be classed that way. After all a Navy Seal with a
Knife
would scare any normal man, but me with a knife makes you look for the
missing dinner plate.

 Bladed weapons are
>already taken into account in the reaction and confidence checks in
>the normal Stargrunt rules.

Yes but see above.

>>NATO Pltn: 3 6/7 man sqds, a MG & sniper team (Lt & Sqd sargent for
>HQ
>>sqd!)
>
>Which NATO forces have such _small_ squads?  I know US Light Infantry
>is 9-man squads.  USMC is 13, IIRC.  Plus US Army platoon HQ is (LT,
>PSG, RTO), MG team (2xM-60 teams, SAW, M-203) and often a medic.  The
>only time you'd have a 6-man squad is a US Army mechanized infantry
>platoon, and they 1)Wouldn't go on a pilot recovery unless they were
>already close to it, 2)Would bring their Bradleys along for fire
>support, 3)Not many Serbs would be stupid enough to tangle with
>that-four 25mm chain guns will ruin your day.	Plus NATO forces have a

My thinking, if you would have asked, was that you run a stripped down
team for the best possible reason: balance the scenario!!!!!!  There are
one or two practical reasons also. One is that they left the rookies and
loud mouths at home. You don't send any but the best on deep penetration
missions, and it's no time to train them.

>nasty tendency to have air support on call when doing stuff like this.

Again to repeat myself, I'm playing a game and I need to have balanced
scenarios. This is a good one.

>It's a good scenario idea, but to call the hi-techers NATO causes too
>many problems.

Yes it is a good idea, but there aren't too many side with those kinds
of
troops so I'm left with NATO. I certainly can't call them NVA, besides I
think NATO troops are that good and smart enough to do it that way.

I'm interested in small unit actions, set in the present. Does anyone
else have any? I would certainly enjoy hearing about them.

Tom Hughes
tom411@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: Re: Mobile mines Next: Re: Low Tech Scenarios