Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Kra'vak was Re: Low Tech Scenarios

Re: Low Tech Scenarios

From: tom411@j... (Thomas E Hughes)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 16:36:53 -0500
Subject: Re: Low Tech Scenarios

On Sun, 17 May 1998 09:06:13 -0400 Los <los@cris.com> writes:
>Niall Gilsenan wrote:
>
>> Just look at the Russians versus the Afghan Tribesmen for that.  I'm
>not an
>> expert on it by any means but it looked to me like the Russians took
>> hammering despite having the better technology.
>
>Well that's not necessarily the case, they had teh exact same weapons
>and
>technology as the Russians at tehlower levels. They just lacked the
>numbers,
>soem of the commo gear, rdf, ew, heavy equipment and weapons. they did
>have
>those shiny nice new stingers though <g>.
>
>We're talking more along the lines of spear armed zulus vs rifle and
>artillery
>armed brit troops. That's a technology difference.
>
>Los

Actually you have to add one more factor, the terrain. I saw a film clip
of a Russian vehicle sitting on the road and not being able to raise the
barrel high enough to hit the Afgans sitting high up on the slope. The
afgans were shooting at the poor Russian draftees huddled around their
vehicles with AK's and the vehicles were pounding a stretch of empty
hillside just below the Afgans. I know it sounds weird but the Russki's
built their equiptment for the flat plains of Russia and their
equiptment
refects this. That is one of the many reasons they did so badly.

Tom Hughes

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Prev: Re: Low Tech Scenarios Next: RE: Kra'vak was Re: Low Tech Scenarios