Prev: Re: Dirtside campaign Next: Re: [SGII] 10mm,15mm,20mm minis & VOTOMs

Re: Wire Obstacles

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 00:45:09 -0400
Subject: Re: Wire Obstacles

At 10:46 PM 5/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>>Actually the problem with MF is that it requires tension and force to
>work. >Concentina Wire has tension and strength and sharpness.  The
>
>>Now then, the problem with MF is that is is sharp enough that it can
>cut >through a steel pole, but unless it is perfectly efficient, which
>
>So what do you string it on?  Can't tie it to a steel pole, or you'd
>chop the pole in half.  More so for vegetation and other crap.  IMHO
>"monomolecular wire" is a cheezy plot device introduced by SciFi (as
>opposed to SF) writers who havn't done their homework.  Then we have
>the question as to what idiot you're going to talk into tying it to our

>steel pole and how you'll keep him from accidentally removing his own
>apendages.
>
>John M. Atkinson

	Or...you create a wire about as thick as say, modern fishing
line, with a
monomolecular core surrounded by plastic or something.	You string the
resulting wire up, in whatever positions you like, and glue it in place
with blobs of epoxy.  You then spray the area with a chemical that eats
away the outer material, leaving the core of molywire.	The eopxy blobs
will be uneffected by this chemical, and will serve to anchor the whole
thing in place, since the sections of wire within them will be untouched
by
said chemical, and will remain as thick as fishing line.  Voila.  Seems
workable to me.  Still a nasty way to die, though....

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: Dirtside campaign Next: Re: [SGII] 10mm,15mm,20mm minis & VOTOMs