Prev: Re: Dirtside campaign Next: Re: Wire Obstacles

Re: Dirtside campaign

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 21:42:39 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Dirtside campaign

You wrote:

>The system is based at Task Group/Battalion level.  It uses a system
of >allocating your forces into 3 sections: Recon, Main Body and Rear
Guard. >Depending on the scenario, different parts of your force are
used.  In >between games, you can shuffle a limited amount of your
force between the >various detachments.

I don't think Dirtside is really appropriate for campaigns because of
the scale.  Your usual fights are at a short Batallion Task Force size,
and that's not enough to make that much of a difference overall in the
war.  I mean, even in tiny wars like Falklands no one batallion would
have been in all the engagements that determined the course of the war.
 That was more or less a fight between two divisions (actually, the
Brits only brought 2/3 of a division), and Dirtside isn't set up for
that sort of thing.  I might like to see (someday) a larger scale game
based on Dirtside wherein the figures represent company task forces and
you command a division or two.

>Oh yes- you cant buy artillery, ortillery etc.  You "buy" fire support
and >roll on a table to see what shows up- after all no Battalion
Commander will >have his own aerospace fighters or MLRS battery !

Why not a MLRS battery?  It's a division-level asset now, likely will
be regimental/brigade asset by then, which might have it in direct
support to a schwerpunkt batallion.

Another idea might be Anabasis--remnants of a brigade caught behind
lines after a disaster.  Lots of REMFs and redlegs, real short on armor
and infantry.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Dirtside campaign Next: Re: Wire Obstacles