Prev: Traveller FT (was RE: Introduction to the list) Next: Targeting Missiles

Re: epic to Dirtside conversions

From: Andy Skinner <askinner@a...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:08:49 -0500
Subject: Re: epic to Dirtside conversions

With pop-ups for VTOLs, not gravs, and fire controls for weapon systems,
not weapons, it sounds like you're taking an approach very similar to
what I've thought about.

> For example the predator, one HKP type weapon and two HEL's, I gave it
one fire
> control for one weapon sytem type HKP and one for the two HEL's (which
although two
> separate weapons its still the same system type). This way vehicles
don't wind up
> with inordinate amounts of fire control. In our example the predator
could target
> two different targets.

Yes, that does sound a lot like I'd do it.  I don't really know which
weapons are supposed to be what on these things, so I'll assign 'em by
what I think they look like.  Do you make extra firecons the same level
as the first, as per rules?  I don't see a need for that, as long as
each firecon is assigned to a specific weapon system.

I did similar things with army character.  Eldar with grav movement and
lasers.  I picture Space Marines as having DFFGs, especially on the Land
Raider.

I've wondered about things like ablative armor.  I gave lasers mostly to
the Eldar, so it makes sense for them to use ablative armor.  I guess it
depends on the history--are wars normally inter-species, or have the
civilizations recently met, so their military would be used to fighting
others from the same technology?  If army A has lots of lasers and their
enemy B doesn't, it makes more sense that A would have ablative armor
(even though they won't need it) and that B wouldn't (even though they
do).  Or does it?  Similar question for other weapon systems and
specific countermeasures, such as GMS and PDAF.

How did you handle such things?

thanks,
andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner@avs.com

Prev: Traveller FT (was RE: Introduction to the list) Next: Targeting Missiles