Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

Re: Epic to dirtside conversions

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1@i...>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 21:50:18 +0000
Subject: Re: Epic to dirtside conversions

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Peter Ramos wrote:
>
> > Over sevral months I have compiled many ideas and conversions for
GW's
> line of
> > epic miniatures.
>
> Ah. OK. Your subject line indicated that you had converted *Dirtside*
units
> to *GW's* rules...

Oops my mistake.

> Have a look at Andy Cowell's DSII page
> (http://www.cs.utk.edu/¨cowell/min/ds2/), for example. I think there
are
> others floating around on the 'net too, but I don't have any addresses
> handy anyway. I know I whipped up stats for my Eldar forces the first
thing
> I did when I got my copy (lots of lasers and gravtanks, basically
<g>).

Actually his page is one of the assets of used to do this. The vehicle
generation program saves lots of time. Also I have taken into account
Mr.
Gibsons suggested  generic infantry rules.Depends on what you mean with
"figs
for DSII" :-/ GZG makes 6mm infantry

> based on their 25mm NSL troops, as well as 6mm versions of their 25mm
> vehicles. There are pictures of many of those vehicles at Geo-Hex's
> homepage (http://www.geohex.com/dsm01.htm); the full listing of what's
> available can be found at the GZG on-line catalogue at
> http://homepages.enterprise.net/paulowen/gzg/index.html . No power
armour
> yet, but they'll probably appear in the future.

This is what I needed thanks.

> However, although these models are made by the same company as DSII,
the
> rules are written so that literally any (non-mecha) 6mm infantry or
vehicle
> models can be used. Your choice of words - "a series of figs for DSII
are
> becoming available" - sound almost as if these GZG models are the
canon
> models required to play the game (much like GW wants us to believe
their
> models are...), and... well, they aren't. (I don't think you intended
> make it sound like that, but... I've seen very similar reactions from
> people who simply couldn't grasp the notion of a game _without_ a
canon
> must-have figure range far too often. Like those who play WHFB with GW
> figures, Raven with Harlequin figures, and Chronopia with Heartbreaker
> figures... and wouldn't dream of mixing the three :-( )

I already have many different brands of 6mm figs, I just wanted to know
if they
had more DSII stuff because I like the look of their Stargrunt figs and
would
like to adquire the equivalent 6mm figs when they are available (I think
thats
what their DSII is doing, recreating the same models from stargrunt at a
smaller scale).

GW engenders pretty strong emotions. I myself have made similar
outbursts.
Thier prices, marketing schemes and blatant disregard for customer
loyalty
makes my teeth chatter. I do however try to use DSII as a vehicle to
which
"convert" GW gamers to other better systems (stargrunt II is also a
blast).

I firmly believe that GW ascendancy as more to due with the games
exposure and
general availability than with quality (in its rules, I do admit the
models are
very nice if insanely priced). If I can show them a system where they
can use
whatever they have and that its fun, so much the better. Having a list
of
conversions handy is just a toll for making this sort of task easier.

Thanks for the help.

Peter

Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition