Prev: Re: Kra'vak Railgun & Technology!!!! Next: Re: Epic to dirtside conversions

Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:40:15 -0400
Subject: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

John Atkinson wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> >	  The idea of all this was to get people to build balanced
fleets
> without >have to spell out too many points ratios or limits. "Swarm"
> fleets are >totally acceptable.
>
> Out of curiosity, what is the general feeling of the FT community
> towards lunatics like myself who like swarm-style fleets?

Good for tournaments, really bad for campaigns or scenarios that are
supposed
to reflect RL.	(As much as Sci-Fi can reflect RL.  (8-) )

> The discussion which ensued did
> point out that modern wet-navies do operate on this basis.

Modern wet-navies given a costal defence mission.  Try crossing the
Atlantic in an Osa-II.	(8-)  Swarms usually need mother ships in
'realistic' scenarios (Sea Control or Power Projection type things), and

that usually tips the weight against them as
the mother ship is so expensive, a balanced fleet would be better.  And
God help you if the mother ship gets cacked... which is why everybody
is wondering about the USN Supercarrier right now, especially given the
'From The Sea...' mission, which puts the carrier right in the middle of
harms way.

> And what would be an acceptable counter-response?  I can't think off
> the top of my head what would be a good counter to this strategy.

Wet navy style, or FT style?  (8-)

In FT, area weapons like the Wave Gun or Nova Cannon would be good
counters.
your universe supports it.)   There's only so much you can do because of

the firecon limits i.e. FT weapons can't fire in local control.

Just some babble.  (8-)  Time for my exam.

J.

--
Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan - TBFTGOGGI
"Hear me call across the waves;  If I don't come home tonight,

Prev: Re: Kra'vak Railgun & Technology!!!! Next: Re: Epic to dirtside conversions