Prev: Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players Next: Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players

Re: SG2 Rules and such, was Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players

From: Andy Skinner <askinner@a...>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 13:45:11 -0500
Subject: Re: SG2 Rules and such, was Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players

Andy Cowell wrote:

> In message <350D3139.8DB6910F@avs.com>, Andy Skinner writes:
> >
> > I'm not all that sure on what Space Marines are supposed to be able
>
> Make something up.  Give 'em d10 armor but not double their CC scores
> if that makes them more 40k-ish.  Sorry, don't know too much about how
> they should perform, but not everything will fit neatly into SG2
rules,
> I'm sure, so feel free to bend them.

For me, they've only got to perform as makes sense to me, since I don't
know the details of what GW thinks they can do, either.  I guess I'd
give them some sort of bonus in close combat, but either a die shift or
just +1 instead of doubling their die.	I usually try to restrain my
tendency to rules-hacking until after I'm a bit more familiar with the
rules.	:-)  But I already like the fact that I don't have to
recalculate point values if I make something a little worse or better
than what the regular rules say, just reassess what they're good for
when trying to balance a fight.

> > 1) The battlefield just looks neat at that scale.  :-)
>
> I agree.  I like it when the figure scale is close to the ground
scale.
> I play with 15mm myself.

I did switch to cm, so there is still some discrepancy.  Let's see,
figure scale changed from 25mm to 6mm, and ground scale from 1" (2.4
cm?) to 1 cm.  6/25 is .24, and 1/2.4 is .42, so my ground to figure
scale ratio went down a little less than half.	That sound right?  I
could stick to inches, but I really like the little field.

> > 4) While playing Necromunda, we were talking about leaders being the
> > guys with the biggest stats, typically GW.	In SGII, our leaders did
> > nothing the whole game but activate squads.  I still have to read
rules
> > for EW, observing, etc.
>
> That is your leaders real power, that he can activate squads and rally
> troops.  Necromunda is fun, but you're talking apples and oranges
here...
> or maybe comic books and gritty fiction.  :)

I held off making the point about leaders until we were in the SGII
game.  But I agree that Necromunda isn't intended to work in the same
way.

andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner@avs.com

Prev: Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players Next: Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players