Prev: SG2 Rules and such, was Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players Next: Re: SG2 Rules and such, was Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players

Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players

From: Tony Christney <acc@u...>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:31:09 -0800
Subject: Re: SG2 Question for WH40K Players

Thomas Barclay wrote:
>Allan spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
>> I had a question for people using GW's WH40K figures for playing
>> Stargrunt 2. Do you make use of the full Power Armour rules for Space
>> Marines. I realize that in WH40K these guys are supposed to be in
>> Power Armour, but SG2's Power Armour seems to give them an unfair
>> advantage. In particular, they get to double their roll in Close
>> Combat. In a recent game, 9 Orks attacked 5 marines and the marines
>> completely wasted them with one casualty on average die rolls. This
>> seemed to be a bit extreme.
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>
>I think powered armour is very mean. If you think Orks should be as
>tough as Adeptus Astartes, then by all means give them (Orks) an
>extra die shift in HTH.  I think the Marines should mop the floor
>with them. Imagine Eldar PA.... ouch....

I totally agree - PA is the ultimate evolution of infantry. IIRC,
the original Space Marine background said something to the
effect that they were worth more than ten times their numbers
against conventional forces. The reason they are pretty crappy
compared to their background is GW's never ending quest for
profit over internal consistency. Why would anyone buy 50
Space Marines when 5 is all you need in a game?

As for Eldar, they are PA! Their tech levels are much higher
than humans, and their PA is that much more sophisticated.
Having reread the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the Lay of Leithan
and the Silmarillion (twice) this year, I can appreciate this
fact. Elves are damn tough! Tougher even than Space Marines,
IMO. They do seem cheesy on paper, though.

Tony Christney
acc@uvic.ca
*     "Good, Bad, I'm the one with the gun"	*