Prev: Re: Paul's Catalogue page.. Next: Re: Paul's Catalogue page..

Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

From: Rob Paul <rpaul@w...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:12:15 +0000
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) - LONG POST!

At 01:24 13/02/98 -0600, you wrote:
>At 02:15 2/12/98, Jerry Han wrote:
>>I hear Chuck Yeager saying: 'It's the Man, not the Machine.'	(8-)
>>
>>But, on the flip side, pilot skill will only take you so far.  Give me
>>pilot just out of the USAF Academy, and the Baron von Richtofen, and
give
>>the newbie an F15 and Richtofen his Fokker DVII, and see what the hell
>>happens.  (Big Hint:	Sonic Boom at Mach 2 (8-) )
>
>Reminds me of a story: some years ago, I was playing Chuck Yeager's
Flight
>simulator and for grins dialed up a F16 vs a Yak-something-or-other
WWII
>era prop plane. I figured I had an easy victory but... that Yak was so
>slow, I couldn't hold a bead on it for long before overshooting it and
>having to make a *long* loop around for the next pass. With no missiles
>(would a Sidewinder lock onto a prop plane anyway?) it took *forever*
>kill the thing.
>
>Admittedly, the model wasn't sophisticated enough to calculate the
effects
>of a supersonic flyby on a wood & cloth plane....

-------
>Jim 'Jiji' Foster / jfoster@kansas.net / Jiji @ AnimeMUCK / TIP #28

This reminds me of the (supposedly true) story about the 2 US fighters
in
Korea which were destroyed attacking a Polikarpov Po-2 (Stearman-like
biplane basic trainer operating as a night intruder).  The US a/c went
after
it (I seem to remember they were F-94 Starfires), and had a great deal
of
difficulty due to the Po-2's low speed and evasive maneuvering.
Eventually,
the lead nightfighter lowered flaps and undercarriage to slow itself
right
down, got into a firing position, fired, missed and stalled into the
ground.
The second nightfighter kept it's speed up to avoid this, and collided
with
the Po-2, destroying both machines.

Rob

"Rob Paul

Dept of Zoology
Oxford University
South Parks Road
Oxford
(01865) 271124
"Once again, villainy is rotting meat
before the maggots of justice!"
"

Prev: Re: Paul's Catalogue page.. Next: Re: Paul's Catalogue page..