Prev: Re: Valiant Miniatures? Next: Re: Age and Complexity

Re: Re[2]: Stargrunt II question - Linear cover

From: tanker@b...
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:58:24 -0800
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Stargrunt II question - Linear cover

At 12:51 PM 1/23/98 PST, you wrote:
>	I wonder what people think of a slightly different situation,
where a
>squad tries to share a linear defensive position ( a low wall, burnt
out
>building, etc.) with an enemy already occupying the opposite side of
the
>barrier? In a game of SG2 I played recently ( Hi Phil! ) a particularly
>unfortunate squad was pinned along one side of a wall and taking quite
>pounding ( it was our first game with light artillery support, which
BTW
>favorably changes the character of SG2. ) One of my squads advanced
into some
>nearby woods. I wanted to activate them to close to the other side of
the
>obstacle to remove it as a bonus for the target squad and to use it as
bonus
>against other supporting enemy units. The argument was made that to
approach
>that closely required a complete close assault to keep it within the
spirit of
>the game, otherwise the manuever is simply 'gamey', taking advantage of
coner
>cases in the rules, etc.
>=================
>Miguel Echavarria

Sounds like the Navy boy was whining gain!  <G> (Hi Phil!) :-)

-----
Paul J. Calvi Jr.
tanker@best.com

"If I had time...to study war, I think I should concentrate almost
entirely
on the 'actualities of war,' the effects of tiredness, hunger, fear,
lack
of sleep, weather....The principles of strategy and tactics...are
absurdly
simple: it is the actualities that make war so complicated and so
difficult, and are usually neglected by historians."

--FM Archibald Wavell to B.H. Liddell Hart (as quoted in "Frontsoldaten:
The German Soldier in World War Two" by Stephen G. Fritz.)

Prev: Re: Valiant Miniatures? Next: Re: Age and Complexity