Prev: Re: Re[2]: Stargrunt II question - Linear cover Next: Re: Some FT rules ideas(Longish)

Re: Age and Complexity

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:20:14 GMT
Subject: Re: Age and Complexity

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:02:24 +0000, "Alfredo Lorente"
<alfredo@exodus.bitstream.net> wrote:

>Am I the exception?  Should I get a couple kids to better match the
>average GZG gamer profile?

That won't do it. I'm 35 and I match the GZG profile quite well. I've
been married for over 12 years but we don't have any kids.

I think it's an age thing. I run a game of Call of Cthulhu each
Christmas where the players play themselves. 4 years ago, the game ran
over two days. This year we were all kind of bagged after one day. I
think as you get older your stamina for longer games starts to drop.

Also, things aren't as new as they used to be. I've been wargaming for
22 years, and I just got tired of long, drawn out games that have to
be packed away just as they get interesting. I used to love games that
would take 6 to 8 hours to finish. Now I'm looking at games that are
over in an hour or two as a better bet. It's easier to fit into our
schedule, and after two hours we still have a lot of time left, we can
play it again or just sit down and gab for a couple of hours.

Funny enough, I'm gaming more NOW than I've ever done. However, it's
mostly roleplaying. Roleplaying is more of a social thing with our
group. I'd personally prefer to do more miniatures gaming, but I can't
complain.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: nil."

Prev: Re: Re[2]: Stargrunt II question - Linear cover Next: Re: Some FT rules ideas(Longish)