Prev: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets Next: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets

Re: How a minature should look

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 09:24:21 -0800
Subject: Re: How a minature should look

David Maslen wrote:

> First let me say, I don't own any minatures, and have never enjoyed
> painting them. I have had fun playing with them, but think it's a
> waste of effort to spend so much time/money on them. I'm quite happy
> with FT as a strategy/tactical game, using some type of
> markers/counters, or maybe even PBEM with gif maps ala FTMAP.

...Snip...JTL)
> david..

David,
     Rational may be beyond my ability at the present time, but
I will not let that stand in the way of comments.
     To answer the question I will leave the FT realm and move
backwards in time to another game (Mustangs and Messerschmitts).
     I have seen the 1/72 models created by players that were
close to professional quality.	 My models for the game were
simply very good wargeme quality.
     I have a friend (vern Turner) who built moderate to low
quality models that were generally distained even by the
average player.   This man was one of the finest players
of the game I have ever had the pleasure to know.   In his
words "They can laugh at my models all they want, I'll still
shoot them down".

     Those of us who play games, do so for different reasons
and at different levels of intensity and interest.
Some play for victory(by any means), some for the win, some for
good fight(outnumbered is fine, I just consider it a targer rich
enviroment), some to display the excellent paint jobs they
created(not necessarly a good player), some just live to stomp
the PERFECT fleet(as run by the perfect player), some just like
to write long an ultimately meaningless letters to people they have
never had the pleasure of meeting in person.
     If you sum some of the somes above you have some kind of player!

Play at your own level and don't worry about what other people think.
(or don't think.)

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets Next: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets