Prev: RE: FT / DS2 /SG2 - Super Rapid Fire Guns Next: RE: PDS - Super Rapid Fire Guns == ScatterPack

RE: PDS - Super Rapid Fire Guns

From: "Haun, Gilles, SSG" <haung@E...>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:09:29 -0400
Subject: RE: PDS - Super Rapid Fire Guns

>From the description of the short wave radar - it sounds a lot like an
aegis fire control system linked into a target acquisition radar
commonly used on destroyers and cruisers.  The problem with the system
isn't it's size, it could be mounted on a chasis:  the problem is in the
volume of fire it sends forth and space needed for storage of ammo.  If
a scaled down version could be created with a denser bullet, I'd imagine
it could rip a missile apart in no time from the ground. As it stands, I
believe the smallest calibur used is 20mm (a vulcan).
As far as knocking out a UD-APFSDS round, if enough 20mm hits it - it'll
deflect the trajectory of the round enough to avoid collision.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but isn't this the basis for the scattergun pack
in FT used by the Kra-vak except it isn't linked to a targeting
computer.