Prev: Re: BIG fleets. Next: RE: BIG fleets.

Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

From: kx.henderson@q... (Kelvin)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 20:16:00 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

>> Maybe the fengal-warp drive is fine for humans, but the slower
>> yankoofa-drive is preferred by the Jatravartids since the
>> former gives them severe space sickness. They may work on
>> the same principle, just differ in their implementation.
>>
>Got specs for the yankoofa-drive? :) This is also a great idea, and the
>best rational I've yet heard for having multiple FTL drives in the same
>universe.

Yep.  That's pretty good reasoning.  Who can say how FTL travel might
affect
us?  Or another race for that matter.

Well, I must say I love the reason for why the younger races all use
Jump-gates in Babylon 5.  It took me while to work it out, but after
watching the Fourth Season I did it.

For those of you who have yet to see the Fourth Season, here is a
Spoiler
Space in case anything I say spoils things for you!

There IS a message down there!	Keep going!

Well, after watching the various ways that all the First Ones use
Hyperspace, I must say that I was impressed by JMS's sublty in the
reason
behind the younger races using Jumpgates.  If you watch them closely,
all
the First Ones, including the Shadows, use different methods for
entering
and exiting Hyperspace.  The Shadows phase in and out, the Walkers use a
huge electical-field thingy, another of the races uses a flash of fire,
and
I think there was one more that I saw, but i forget what it was (but it
WASN'T a Jumpgate).  The Vorlons use Jumpgates.  And which First One
race
has had the most contact and performed the most interference with the
younger races?	Yep.  The Vorlons.  Clever.  So I'm pretty sure that the
reason the younger races use Jumpgates is because that's what the
Vorlons
want them to use and in subtle ways they showed the younger races how to
use
them.

-Kelvin.....

	"Young lady, in THIS house we obey
	      the laws of Thermodynamics!"
			-Homer Simpson
	    email:  kx.henderson@qut.edu.au

Prev: Re: BIG fleets. Next: RE: BIG fleets.