Prev: Speed, distance, time (Faster Than Light Travel) Next: Re:Kryomek stuff

Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

From: "Steve Pugh" <mafb90@p...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:02:45 -0400
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

That Joachim Heck chap wrote:
>And before that someone possibly called Alan wrote:

>>  A piece of music was played, and transmitted via tunnelling,
>> arriving at a speed not less than a large multiple of c, and
>> recognisable as the tune being played (very distorted, a lot of
>> signal loss). Still, even such a small crack in the FTL door rather
>> puts the Kibosh on the absolute "Thous shalt not transmit any
>> information faster than light" prohibition.
>
>   Wow.

I've heard of this experiment before. The music was meant to be
transmitted at about 4.5c. I can't remember why but people
are getting very suspicious of it. It might turn out to be another
Cold Fusion cock up.

>> Now this does not an FTL drive make. But it _IS_ interesting.
>> I'll see if I can dig up the references to the experiment.
>
>   Please do.	Note that this system, cleaned up and expanded to
> large distances, provides about a third of the technology required
> for teleportation.  Scanning an object at the quantum level and
> storing all information about it is, of course, no mean feat, and I
> haven't heard of any way to construct an object particle by particle
> but ... well, it's imaginable at least.

Nanotech. Instead of scanning the person you disassemble them. As you
do so you record all the data you need. You then throw the
disassembled matter into the storage bins. Transmit the data to a
receiving booth. Here more nanobots use the data to assemble a new
copy of you from the matter stored in the bins at this end. There is
no need to scan at the quantum level, whatever that is, as memory is
stored by chemical means, so an atomic level will surfice. There will
be an obvious gap in consciousness but no worse than when you go to
sleep and wake up again. Unless you believe in the existence of a soul
in which case any sort of transporter should be impossible.

	Cheers,
		  Steve

 I never answer letters and you don't like my tie."  - The Doctor

Stephen Richard Pugh	 http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16

Prev: Speed, distance, time (Faster Than Light Travel) Next: Re:Kryomek stuff