Prev: RE: SGII Close Combat Next: Drake's The Tank Lords (was Re: 121st Marine Reaction Co.)

Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:33:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!]

On Aug 19, 1997 at 2:25:13 AM, Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@swob.dna.fi>
wrote:

> How useful LOS range is, is another thing. It depends very much on
> terrain. We chuckled at the Gulf reports of 4+ km hits on Iraqi tanks
--
> in Finland, you're hard pressed to find 1km unobstructed LOS in rural
> terrain.

Yeah, NATO armored forces drive tanks with engines designed for Germany
and
guns designed for the desert.  This is one of those dirty little secrets
of
the Cold War years -- the extra range of NATO weapons was one of the
qualitative features designed to neutralize WTO quantitative
advanatages, yet
chances are we wouldn't have been able to use the extra range in
northern
Europe.

BTW, I think it was _Rolling Hot_, which, IIRC, is also the book where
the
green crew accidently fires the anti-tank smart artillery shell at their
own
tanks...

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)	    _Exordium_: the fan web page
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)
<http://www.wizard.net/~caw/exordium.htm>

Prev: RE: SGII Close Combat Next: Drake's The Tank Lords (was Re: 121st Marine Reaction Co.)