Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!] Next: Re: Undeliverable Mail

Drake's The Tank Lords (was Re: 121st Marine Reaction Co.)

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 14:46:52 -0400
Subject: Drake's The Tank Lords (was Re: 121st Marine Reaction Co.)

On Aug 18, 1997 at 10:29:13 PM, "John Kinder" wrote:

> I was in a Waldenbooks today and saw what looked like a new David
Drake
> book. On closer examination it is a volume with the novel "Rolling
Hot",
> the original short story "Under the Hammer", two or three other short
> stories, and the backround material on the universe of the Slammers,
> Drake's experiences in Vietnam, and the TO+E of the regiment. I don't
> know if "Hammers Slammers" is out of print, but this book would be a
good
> intoduction to the series. It is published by Baen Books and is titled

> "The Tank Lords". Sorry I didn't write the ISBN.

Is it the novel _Rolling Hot_, or a short story by the same name?  My
copies
at home, but I didn;t think they were the same.  Of course, I could be
way
wrong.

Drake's books can sometimes be confusing, because there is a lot of
double-
dipping.  For example, first we had collection of short-stories and
background
interludes called _Hammer's Slammers_.	Then the short story "The Tank
Lords"
was published, in Pournelle's _There Will Be War_ series, IIRC.  The
_HS_ was
reissued with "The Tank Lords" added to it.  Now there is a new book,
_The
Tank Lords_, which not only includes "The Tank Lords" AND the interludes
from
the original _HS_, but it also incliudes "Rolling Hot", which may or may
not
be the sum contents of _Rolling Hot_, which I'm now beginning to think
may not
have been a novel but a collection of three novellas or so, one of which
may
have been called "Rolling Hot".  [For extra credit, diagram the above
sentence. <grin>]

Anyone else having trouble keeping score?

--Chris Weuve		[My opinion, not my employers.]
mailto:caw@ascend.com (wk/day)		mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)
----
"While a llama may produce the finest of wools, prized around the world,

their breath, on the other hand, could be prized only in the far reaches

of Llama Hell."   -- FBI Agent Dale Cooper, _Twin Peaks_

Prev: Re: Hammer's Slammers [VERY LONG POST!] Next: Re: Undeliverable Mail