Prev: Re: Wet Thrust - Conversion of FT to WWII Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

Re: B5 RPG UK Edition - Reply off topic

From: M Hodgson <mkh100@y...>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 05:26:25 -0400
Subject: Re: B5 RPG UK Edition - Reply off topic

> I've heard mixed reactions about the game system. Some like it, some
don't.
> I liked the the look of the hit location system, but the rest looked
very
> much "been there, done that."

I have to agree with this.  As an owner of the Babylon Project, I can
say
that I was dissapointed in it, but mainly because I expected far more.
would still buy it.  Most, if not all RPG's have flaws in thier
machanics
and system, and GM's have been adopting "house rules" and modifications
for as long as there have been RPG's.  Providing you are willing to do
this with the Babylon Project, it's worth the money.  It does contain
some
good inspiration, and we now play reguarly on using a system, at least
derived from theirs.

> As for the source material, that is a BIG disappointment. There is
more, and
> better, information on the Net. For far less money, you could adapt
any
> other game system to the background information elsewhere on the Net
and
> still have more background information.

This is very true, and between the lurkers guide, Voltayers etc. you can
easily find all the background you need to GM a game.  The fact that I
have read all this does make running a game MUCH easier.  That said,
there
are still useful, bits in the game.  Most notably are schematic type
maps
of EA space and B5's general station layout.  The latter IS on the web,
the the detail is not so good.	If this information is repeated in the
EA
sourcebook, then it may lessen the value of the RPG....

> There is no real information for FT fans. This is due in the
Earthforce
> Sourcebook. I personally feel that this should have been released at
the
> same time as the RPG. I'm looking forward to Jon Tuffley's B5 rules.

Me too.  I have to say that there is a little more information on things
like hyperspace, and the reletive positions of systems to each other.
This for example has allowed me to start working on some B5 campaign
rules, before the specifics of tacticle battles are known...

>>Hey guys use your brains get a life and work one out for yourself.

Two comments on comments like this.  First it is uncalled for and will
win
you no friends or supporters.  Personally I like adapting games, and
dedicate many hours to it.  Why then do I still buy RPG's etc ? ,
because
there is always the possibility for improvement and for encompassing the
idea's of other people.
Secondly  when I say hours, I am not joking, and some people want to
play
games AND have a life, where they see real live people who don't talk
about guns and dice all day (no offence ment guys, I do it too :) ).
That
is why game designers get payed.

-Michael

Prev: Re: Wet Thrust - Conversion of FT to WWII Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.