Prev: Re: B5 RPG UK Edition - Reply off topic Next: Re: FT Armor

Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 11:59:37 -0400
Subject: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

Mikko Kurki-Suonio writes:
@:) On Tue, 27 May 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:
@:)
@:) > typical definition I've heard of a "me too" problem is when you
@:) > have simultaneous fire but no great effort is made to declare
@:) > fire simultaneously (SFB is generally played this way).  Now one
@:) > person says "I am firing this turn" and the other guy panics and
@:) > says "me too" but really they should have both spoken at the
@:) > same time and the second guy wouldn't have fired.
@:)
@:) Quite frankly, I don't see the "problem". I think reacting to an
@:) opponent's action is quite valid, especially since we're talking
@:) volleys of fire anyway.

  I guess that's the question, whether we're talking volleys of fire,
or more generally what the speed of combat is here.  In yet another of
my totally goofy examples, if you and I are standing next to each
other with one atom bomb each, our fingers on the triggers, and I
press my trigger, you won't have time to say "me too" and shoot back.
But if I had to aim a gun and you saw tracer fire or ranging shots or
that kind of thing, you might still have a chance to shoot back.

  I think the FT system works fine.  It's simple and fast.  In SFB
people are always trying to figure out the odds every phase (32 times
a turn).  Hmmm... chances are I'll lose some weapons if he shoots at
me, but how many?  Let's see, he's got five phasers and a disruptor,
so his average damage is....  Boring.

-joachim

Prev: Re: B5 RPG UK Edition - Reply off topic Next: Re: FT Armor