Prev: Re: Thoughts on FT Next: Re: Thoughts on FT

Ramming and Suicide Attacks.

From: k.g.mclean@c... (Kevin Mc Lean.)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 00:11:55 -0400
Subject: Ramming and Suicide Attacks.

Re the discussion by Phillip Pournelle and Mikko Kurki-Suoni on suicical
tactics in non campaign games of Full Thrust:

I've always found it interesting when someone who's losing the game
decides
to ram you with a ship that's almost dead. I could understand such a
tactic
if it was aimed at delaying my ships until the rest of the ships got off
the board, but aside from that I've always thought of it as entirely
unrealistic (unless you're playing an unusual race) and 'bad form'.

Looking at it from the background of the FT universe, the only countries
likely to ram were those noted for using 'kamikaze' tactics - which I
guess
brings it down to some Islamic Fundametalist nations and the Japanese
(this
is a comment only on historical tactical doctrine - not a shot at any of
these nations). Even then probably the best way of mimicking this sort
of
tactic is to use torpedo fighters and say they are suicide bombers and
just
replace them each game at no cost. I can't really see a ship doing it
without a very good reason.

Interestingly enough, in a recent post someone mentioned heroic ships
(Mark
Seifert in the Starblazers, I think). I find that fascinating, because
one
of the options mentioned is ramming. I suppose it is always possible to
designate one  ship as heroic on each side which would mean that it
could
ram if it was on it's last legs. If that was the case though, I'd argue
it
would probably be a small ship (escort probably), as it would be less
likely to occur with a large ship unless there were extraordinary
circumstances.	Another interesting thing if you are using optional
morale
rating would be the fact that a ship could be heroic independent of
morale
rating. After all, just because you're green doesn't mean you can't be
gung
ho...

Regards,

Kevin.

Kevin Mc Lean.
STEPS Co-ordinator/CLC Tutor.
Central Queensland University.
Mackay Campus.
Ph  (079) 407416.
Fax (079) 407407.

Prev: Re: Thoughts on FT Next: Re: Thoughts on FT