Prev: Re: Maximizing ship designs Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Fighters in Vector Thrust

Re: [OFFICIAL] Fighters in Vector Thrust

From: Daryl Poe <poe@f...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:19:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Fighters in Vector Thrust

Ground Zero Games wrote:

> OK chaps, its late on Friday evening and I've just had an idea, so I
> thought I'd throw it out to you all now so that you can cogitate on it
(I
> think I'm allowed to say that...).
>
> There has been a lot of discussion about how fighters (and missiles)
should
> work in a "true vector" movement system of the kind we've been kicking
> around for a while. The most "realistic" answer is to make them move
as
> ships do, with recorded velocities, vector markers etc., but for a
long
> while I've been trying to avoid doing this for fighters in order to
avoid
> the additional complexity.

IMHO:
I don't think it's that big a deal -- it's just like adding another
ship to the game.  Also (and this is a big win in my book), you don't
have to memorize or teach two different systems of moving -- once you
know how to move a ship, you know how to move a fighter group.
That's an important part of Playability too.

I'm still not sure what to do with missiles, though.

Daryl

Prev: Re: Maximizing ship designs Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Fighters in Vector Thrust