Prev: Re: Simultaneous moves/fire Next: RE: ship bases

Re: Simultaneous moves/fire

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 10:44:32 -0500
Subject: Re: Simultaneous moves/fire

Snip
>A am also trying the idea of all ships rolling for initiative (just
roll
>lots of dice (1 for each ship)) and then having 6 bands of simultaneous
>fire, as opposed to alternating ...  This is even more fun if the
>initative a ship has for this turn is unknown to the opponant, but is
>impracticle on the table (ie. pbem only).  I also give some ships
(mainly
>fighters and other small craft, initiative bonus)
>
>-Michael

	The Guernsey Foundry skirmish rules published recently in
Wargames
Illustrated had a card-based system that might work- In a Western
gunfight
game, the deck had a card for each character, and one extra card for
each
"grade" of character, from citizen to shootist. A character turning up a
"grade" card, who was of the appropriate grade, could save it as a spare
activation.

	In FT, how about a card for each ship, and a number for each
size
class (Escort, Cruiser, Capital).  The deck would be shuffled each turn,
and
the ships would fire in order of their cards being turned up.  The
generic
grade cards would permit activation of ships "out of sequence" and
perhaps
allow "pushes" (eg I turn up "Esc.3", fire her weapons, then play my
saved
"Generic Escort" and "Generic Cruiser" cards to activate my ships
"Esc.2"
and "Cru.2" before my opponent can reply).  The deck could be stacked to
favour one side or the other (eg "Generic Escort (Affronter only)", or
one
class over another (eg 3 "Generic escorts" but only 1 "Generic
Capital"),
and could incorporate the sort of random event cards others have
mentioned
in this thread.

Cheers,
Rob Paul

Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"

Prev: Re: Simultaneous moves/fire Next: RE: ship bases