Prev: Re: To Dice or Not to Dice... Next: FT on computer

Re: To Dice or Not to Dice...

From: Binhan Lin <Binhan.Lin@U...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 18:24:55 -0500
Subject: Re: To Dice or Not to Dice...

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Mark A. Siefert wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
>	I wanted to bring up a question of game mechanics.  I am working
on my
> own space combat game and I am considering the combat rules mechanics.

> Recently a bunch of wargames and RPGs have come out using a diceless
> format.  I was wondering if there are any advantages/problems to this
> kind of system?
>
> Later,
> Mark S.

The advantage/disadvantage is tat you can more accurately predict
results, i.e. cruiser vs. destroyer will generate exactly this result
this percentage of the time vs a more amorphous prediction with the
random factor added in.  Diceless systems tend to eliminate long shots
and I believe that games are more predicable.  Critical ammo explosions
or mass decapitations become extinct.  I think that randomness adds a
little more flavor to a game system.  Think of all the games, history,
that a team/side/ country as "overcome" the odds and won a victory.

--Binhan Lin

Prev: Re: To Dice or Not to Dice... Next: FT on computer